How Do I Contact The IRS Advocate Service For Assistance?
If the standard methods of resolving an issue with the IRS have failed, or if you are experiencing, or will soon experience, a severe hardship due to the tax laws being applied to you, reach out to the Taxpayer Advocate.
For assistance from the Taxpayer Advocate, use one of these methods:
- To reach your local Taxpayer Advocate office, please call the telephone number listed in Publication 1546, The Taxpayer Advocate Service of the IRS. You can also find this same number in the Blue Pages section of your telephone directory.
- Call taxpayer Advocate's toll-free telephone number: 877-777-4778.
- You can get Taxpayer Advocate assistance by calling the general IRS toll-free number (800-829-1040).
- You can write or fax the Taxpayer Advocate offices - Publication 1546, The Taxpayer Advocate Service of the IRS will have all the addresses and FAX numbers you need.
- If you need help, please call TTY/TTD line.: 800-829-4059.
- Submit Form 911, Application for Taxpayer Assistance Order (ATAO), to the Taxpayer Advocate's office. You can find guidelines in Publication 1546, The Taxpayer Advocate Service of the IRS.
You can get more information on the Taxpayer Advocate website.